Ten Steps of a Job Search
- Plan your time - Make a to do list for everything you will do to look for a job.
- Identify Occupations - Make a background experience list to identify jobs that use your talents.
- Identify Employers - Ask friends, relatives, etc. to help you find job openings. Refer to other resources on this site, MeetYourNewCareer.com,Â Job Training Partners, IowaWORKS.
- Prepare Materials - Assemble a job search kit that includes: pens, notebook, maps, bus schedules, clean resume copies, applications, background/experience list, Social Security Card and photo ID.
- Contact Employers - Review job announcement to determine how your skills apply to the opening. Go to companies to fill out applications, if necessary. Call employers directly.
- Prepare Interviews - Learn about the company interviewing you. Assemble resumes, application forms and make sure everything is neat.
- Go to Interviews - Dress professional for the interview. Be clean, concise and positive. Remember to thank the interviewer.
- Evaluate Interviews - Send a typed, signed thank you letter within 24 hours of the interview.
- Take Tests - Find out about the test you are taking. Brush up on job skills. Be confident and relaxed.
- Accept the Job! Be flexible regarding salary - but don't sell yourself short. Understand job duties, expectations and work hours.
(This information provided by IowaWORKS as a partner of Western Iowa Tech Community College.)