|Back to List|
Instrument Person/Survey Party Chief
LeMars IA 51031
Qualifications and Prerequisites:
• Possess knowledge of basic principles of civil engineering as applied to road and bridge projects.
• Possess knowledge of construction specifications that relate to highway engineering in the State of Iowa.
• Ability to plan, organize, assign, supervise, and inspect work of subordinates.
• Four (4) years' of survey experience and ability to perform all survey work,or equivalent combination of educational and training experience.
• Two years' experience in materials testing work or equivalent combination of training and experience.
• Completion of courses concerning material testing sponsored by the IDOT Materials Department related to grading, bridges, culvert, or paving inspection, or ability to obtain certificates.
• Ability to perform basic drafting and simple engineering designs.
• Must possess accurate and neat work habits.
• Ability to comprehend and implement technical, written and oral instructions.
• Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with contractors, fellow employees, and the public.
| Required Skills:
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
• Associate degree in Civil Engineering Technology, or related; or equivalent of (4) years' of experience in engineering surveying, construction inspection, or materials testing; or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Completed courses in geometry and algebra. Demonstrated abilities in mathematics and science supplemented by additional training from a technical school or completion of related extension courses.
• Possess a valid Iowa Driver's License and be able to show proof of insurance.
Physical and Mental Abilities Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
• Language Ability and Interpersonal Communication
• Ability to classify, compute and tabulate data and information, following a prescribed plan requiring the exercise of sound judgment.
• Ability to work independently and to follow a work plan with or without instructions
• Ability to understand well established policies, procedures and standards, as well as the ability to follow specific instructions and respond to simple requests from others.
• Ability to communicate professionally and courteously with the general public and other employees and vendors
Judgment and Situational Reasoning Ability
• Ability to use functional reasoning and apply rational judgment in dealing with employees and the general public.
• Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving a variety of pre-defined duties subject to frequent change.
• Must also have the ability to remain calm and professional in stressful situations, and the ability to work independently and to exercise good judgment in making decisions.
• Ability to coordinate eyes, hands, feet and limbs in performing skilled movements required by the requirements of this classification.
• Ability to exert moderate physical activity, climb stairs, and able to lift and carry materials weighing 50-85 lbs. for a continuous period of time, carry 50 lbs. upstairs and stand for long periods of time. Exposure to injury is possible.
• Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust and focus.
• Ability to work long hours in uncomfortable conditions inside and outside where exposure to injury is possible, including moderately noisy conditions and exposure to vibration, dirt, dusts, odor, and fumes.
• Compliance with the employee handbook, employer policies, department work rules, and supervisor directives.
| Additional Information:
Plymouth County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
Apply at http://www.co.plymouth.ia.us/Services/job_openings.htm