Many questions in an interview will be specific to the job for which you are applying. However, most interviews will have a similar set of questions designed to find out more about YOU as a person. How you answer the question may be just as important as your answer so it's best to be prepared. Practice the answers to these questions, or questions like them, with someone. You can't be prepared for everything, but it is important to take a brief moment to think of your answer rather than stumbling through a half-formed answer.
Be prepared to also answer questions specific to the job or company to which you are applying.
- Why do you want this job?
- Where would you like to be in five (or ten) years?
- What do you consider your strengths? weaknesses?
- What do you like most/least about your present (or last) job?
- What do you know about our company?
- Give an example of a successful project you worked on and the outcome.
- Tell me about a time you had to handle conflict on the job. How was it resolved?
- You've been given an important task to finish by the end of the week, in addition to other projects with the same deadline. How do you handle it?
- Describe your work style.
- What would be your ideal working environment?
- How do you stay organized?
- Give an example of a project or idea you've come up with and how you implemented it.
- Was there someone that you know in your career who has made a difference? How?
- If we asked your current/last boss, what would they say is your biggest strength? Biggest weakness?
- How would you feel about working for someone who knew less than you about the job?
- What are the qualities of an effective manager? Of an ineffective manager?
- Should a manager be feared or liked?
- How do you respond when someone tells you no?
- What is one thing you would not want me (or a future employer) to know?
- What is the last book you read/movie you've seen?
- What kind of car do you drive?
- What is the difference between doing a good job and doing an exceptional job?
- Who is your hero?
- What do you do for fun?
- If you could choose one super power, what would it be and why?
- Do you have any questions for me?